TERMS OF SERVICE AND DISCLAIMER
By accessing any page of this website beyond the home page, you are submitting a request for further information about our qualifications and services. The interior pages of this website may contain testimonials from clients or others familiar with our services. The interior pages may also contain statements which characterize the nature and/or quality of our services. Please note that past performance is not necessarily an indicator of future results.
The terms “User” or “you” or “your” refers to any person or entity that accesses, views, or downloads any content or data from this website.
The terms “we” “us” “firm” or “The Burnside Law Firm” refers to Lawyer Derek Brett, and to the law firm in which Brett is currently affiliated, the Nova Scotia professional association known as: The Burnside Law Firm.
III. Terms of Service
By accessing, viewing or using any part of this Website, the User agrees to be bound by the following Terms and Conditions:
1. The User’s agreement to the terms of this Agreement shall be manifested by any use, viewing or access to this Website. Accessing this website in violation of these terms shall constitute unauthorized access to our computer servers, in violation of federal anti-hacking statutes. Do not use this website unless you agree to all of the terms set forth herein.
2. Nothing contained on this Website shall create an attorney/solicitor-client relationship between the User and the law firm; The Burnside Law Firm, and/or Derek B. Brett, Esquire. The attorney/solicitor-client relationship can only be formed by the execution of an engagement letter countersigned by a partner of The Burnside Law Firm.
3. Any and all articles or other information contained on this Website are for informational purposes only, and not intended as legal advice on any specific issue. Some information may be out of date or superseded by new developments in the law. You should not rely on any information contained on this site for the purposes of making decisions affecting you or your business in any way. Information found on the Internet is no substitute for competent legal advice.
4. Derek B. Brett is licensed to practice in all provincial, state and federal courts (except the Federal District Court for the Southern District of Florida) in the State of Florida, Florida Bar Number: 0090750, and the District of Columbia, DC Bar Number: 468696, and the Province of Nova Scotia, including, but not necessarily limited to, the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal, the Nova Scotia Supreme Court, the Florida Supreme Court, the U.S. Supreme Court, the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, and the United States District Court for the Eleventh Circuit. Admission to courts in other states, pro hac vice, may be sought with the assistance of local counsel. Such admission is subject to the approval of the presiding judge in any given case.
5. Occasionally, legal services rendered by the firm are performed by attorneys/barristers and solicitors under contract with the law firm, under the supervision and approval of a partner. Local counsel will be retained in jurisdictions where the attorneys/barristers and solicitors are not licensed to practice or appear in court. Advice on federal, constitutional, or international law, applicable in all 50 states, may be provided by Derek Brett, Esq., and for Canada by any lawyer with the Burnside Law Firm.
6. Any and all lawyers in the firm are members in good standing of the bar of their home state/province.
7. The text of this Website was prepared by or under the supervision of Derek B. Brett, Esq. Questions or comments regarding anything contained on this Website should be directed to Derek B. Brett via email: email@example.com.
8. Neither Derek B. Brett nor The Burnside Law Firm exercises control over the content of any site to which the firm site is linked. Any questions, comments or concerns regarding content on linked sites should be directed to the Webmaster operating those sites. We are not responsible for any third party content posted on this site, pursuant to 47 U.S.C. § 230.
9. This site is copyrighted. © Derek B. Brett, Barrister & Solicitor (2014). Duplication or reproduction of any content found on this site is not permitted absent a separate written agreement.
10. The designated agent for service of notices pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is as follows:
Derek B. Brett, Esquire
The Burnside Law Firm
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
We process all DMCA notices in accordance with federal law, and have adopted a policy of terminating any third party that repeatedly provides or submits infringing material.
11. Any dispute arising out of the use, viewing or access to this Website shall be submitted to arbitration, pursuant to the rules of the American Arbitration Association. Venue for any arbitration proceeding shall be in Halifax County, Nova Scotia, unless otherwise agreed by the parties or ordered by the Arbitrator. The First Amendment shall be recognized in any arbitration proceeding arising hereunder. The Arbitrator shall award attorneys fees and cost to the prevailing party in any arbitration proceeding.
12. This Agreement and all disputes arising therefrom shall be governed by Florida law.
13. This Agreement represents the entire agreement between the parties and shall be deemed fully integrated.
14. Disclaimer of Warranties: Neither The Burnside Law Firm, or Derek B. Brett, Esq., shall be responsible for any defects relating to the use, operation or access to this Website. Any and all warranties, both express or implied, are specifically disclaimed unless your state’s law prohibits such disclaimer. In no case shall The Burnside Law Firm, or Derek B. Brett, Esq., be responsible for any special, punitive, or consequential damages.
15. Statements made on this Website do not necessarily reflect the views of all members or attorneys of the firm, or of the firm as a whole.
16. Nothing contained on this Website is intended as an “advertisement” within the meaning of Fla.R.Prof.Cond. 4-7.2, other than as required by said rule. The information contained on the interior pages of this Website is intended as “information provided upon request” from the User, within the meaning of Fla.R.Prof.Cond. 4-7.6. 19. Additional information regarding the experience and qualifications of Derek B. Brett of The Burnside Law Firm are available upon written request. Such request should be directed to:
Derek B. Brett, Esquire
The Burnside Law Firm
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
IV. Florida Bar Association Disclaimer
“The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience.”